The small but pretty village of Earl Sterndale is situated amid beautiful Peak District countryside in the Upper Dove Valley in Derbyshire, close to the Staffordshire border.  It is a popular base for walkers, lying in the foothills of the distinctive Parkhouse and Chrome Hills, and within pleasant walking distance of Dovedale. 

The small but pretty village of Earl Sterndale is situated amid beautiful Peak District countryside in the Upper Dove Valley in Derbyshire, close to the Staffordshire border.  It is a popular base for walkers, lying in the foothills of the distinctive Parkhouse and Chrome Hills, and within pleasant walking distance of Dovedale. 

The village economy is mostly based on farming and quarrying, as it has been for centuries.  The farms surrounding the village were originally monastic granges maintained from Basingwerk Abbey in Flintshire, Wales, which owned significant amounts of land in Derbyshire.  The village today is a busy, friendly community, with a thriving school, as well as a lot of holiday accommodation.

The village church of St Michael’s and All Angels was built in 1828 on the site of an ancient chapel from the 14th Century.  It was severely damaged in 1941, the only church in Derbyshire to have been struck by a German bomb in the Second World War.  It was restored in 1952, along with its Saxon font. 

Earl Sterndale is renowned for its traditional pub, The Quiet Woman, its pub sign depicting a beheaded woman.  The sign is reputed to represent the wife of a former landlord, who had her head cut off to stop her nagging him.  The pub is over 400 years old and full of character, with original beams and an open fire.  It has a family room and a games room, and serves great beer, having won a number of beer awards.  Dogs are not allowed inside.

Earl Sterndale

building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!

Claim This Listing