The pretty village of Calver lies on the border between the White Peak and the Dark Peak, situated on the River Derwent and surrounded by the most beautiful scenery.
There is evidence that this part of the Derwent Valley has been inhabited since prehistoric times, and Calver itself is an ancient village, mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086.
It is made up of three distinct areas: Calver Bridge, Calver Sough (pronounced ‘Suff’) to the north, and the main village itself.
part of the main village has a cluster of lovely stone cottages gathered around
an ancient village cross. There is also
a lovely pub, the Derwentwater Arms, and a perfectly kept cricket pitch. Calver Cricket Club is one of the oldest
cricket clubs in the country.
known as Calver Bridge is positioned on the River Derwent, where a beautiful
18th Century bridge crosses the water at the historic Calver Mill. Now converted into accommodation, Calver Mill
was once a cotton mill, built in 1804, after an earlier building on the site
was washed away when the river flooded in 1799.
Spinning continued at Calver Mill until 1923, but after the Second World
War the mill was used in the production of stainless steel. Today the area has a busy craft centre and
gift shop, an art gallery and a pub, The Bridge, with a beautiful riverside beer
around Calver was traditionally a lead mining area. The term ‘Sough’ relates to the underground
channels, or soughs, that were dug to prevent the lead mines from flooding. Happily, in Calver Sough today visitors will
find only lovely cafes, an outdoor retail shop, a traditional sweet shop, a garden
centre and a further pub, The Eyre Arms.